Wednesday, April 13, 2011

3DS: Why I'm Waiting

WHY I'M WAITING


NOTE: I've yet to try the 3DS, so bear with me if I seem a little uninformed.

So the Nintendo 3DS has been out for a while now and it has done quite well to nobody's surprise (It's hit at least half a million at this point). However, I personally do not find enough reason to purchase one at this point. Here are a few of my reasons to why I am waiting a while prior to buying a 3DS and sticking with a past-gen DS, or the 2DS as I like to call it. By the way, I declare dibs on that name!

One thing on my mind is the lack of interesting titles on the 3DS, or a lack of original and interesting titles. When I look at all the release titles for the 3DS, not many of them have caught my attention. For those who are curious, here they are:

NINTENDO GAMES
  • Pilotwings Resort
  • Steel Driver
  • Nintendogs + Cats

THIRD-PARTY GAMES
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
  • The Sims 3
  • Madden NFL Football
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
  • Ridge Racer 3D
  • Super Monkey Ball 3D
  • Bust-A-Move Universe
  • Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  • Rayman 3D
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars
To be fair, the 2DS didn├Ęt have such hot release titles either. Most of the games listed above are either not my cup of tea, or I have played them in some shape or form. Which brings up a bigger question: Why aren't there many original titles coming out for this console?

Another issue I have would be the hefty price tag. $249.99 in North America, €249 ($335) in Europe, and £219-229 ($349-365) in the UK. For what it's worth, it's a lot to pay for something that is not having its technological advances taken advantage of. Speaking of which, I've been checking out a few reviews of 3DS games, and while the games have received okay scores, I end up hear at some point in a few reviews that people tend to turn off the 3D while playing because they found it distracting, which is not a good thing considering the 3D is the selling point of this console.

So, until I get some eye-catching games coming around the corner, or if the price drops, I'll be holding off on a 3DS and have fun with my good ol' 2DS. Remember, I called dibs.

No comments:

Post a Comment